Re: Progress on GCC plugins ?

Richard Kenner wrote:

No, I mean for *testing* you need to do a bootstrap.  I'm not talking
about the minimum actually needed to build.

Nope, you don't. If you are doing static analysis, for instance, you don't care nor need to bootstrap GCC. You just need to load your module every time a file is compiled.

If you are doing a pass that you are testing and/or prototyping, you don't want to waste time rebuilding the whole compiler. If/when your pass reaches certain maturity, you think it's ready for production, and people think it's a good idea to have it in the compiler, then you convert it into a static pass and you go through the traditional bootstrap process.

Similarly, for visualization plug-ins, you don't want/need to bootstrap the compiler. That's the core idea with plug-ins, they allow more flexibility for experimentation. They are not a means for implementing permanent features in the compiler. We would not guarantee ABI nor API stability, there is just no point to doing that.

Diego.