Re: undocumented optimization options

On Nov 12, 2007 3:27 PM, Razya Ladelsky <RAZYA@il.ibm.com> wrote:
> "Richard Guenther" <richard.guenther@gmail.com> wrote on 12/11/2007
> 12:28:05:
>

> > On Nov 12, 2007 10:06 AM, Razya Ladelsky <RAZYA@il.ibm.com> wrote:
> > > Kenneth Zadeck <zadeck@naturalbridge.com> wrote on 07/11/2007
> 19:49:29:

> 01:51:33:

> as

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > This patch adds documentation for fipa-cp and -fipa-matrix-reorg.
> > >
> > > 2007-11-12  Razya Ladelsky <razya@il.ibm.com>
> > >
> > >     * doc/invoke.texi (fipa-cp, fipa-matrix-reorg): Add documentation.
> > >
> > > Ok to commit?
> >
> > Please be more verbose.  While people might have an idea what
> interprocedural
> > constant propagation is (though they probably don't immediately see that
> it
> > might increase code-size by versioning functions), certainly matrix
> flattening
> > deserves more comments.
> >

> I was under the impression that in invoke.texi we just document the
> options.
> The optimizations' full documentation is at the corresponding files.
> (ipa-cp.c and matrix-reorg.c)
> Do you think a more detailed description of these optimizations
> in doc/invoke.texi is necessary?

For options that are not enabled by default at any -O level the documentation
should be a help for the user to decide whether to enable or not enable it.
So, yes, if there are non-standard terms used or if there are not obvious
side-effects (like performing function versioning for ipa-cp) those should be
documented.

For example googling for "interprocedural constant propagation" gives you
an idea what it does by citing papers.  Googling for "matrix flattening
transposing" instead gives you only patches ;)

Richard.