Re: Inserting new parameter in gcc

Manuel López-Ibáñez wrote:
On 09/11/2007, Juan Luis Liarte <juanluis.liarte@aquiline.es> wrote:

(Strangely, I am subscribed to the gcc@gcc.gnu.org and did not get by email Juan Luis' first message but I read it on the web http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2007-11/msg00266.html)

Hello to all,

myparameter=
Common RejectNegative Joined

It works, but I have been thinking on it, and maybe this way to insert
arguments is a little bit messy. For example, the keyword RejectNegative
is not very intuitive, and the documentation about the options is a
little bit confusing.

Why messy? On the contrary, I would suggest that it is too simple and we should have a more flexible syntax so we can auto-generate more code.

RejectNegative is not intuitive? I really would like to hear your
suggestion. Honestly, not sarcasm here.

I agree with the original poster Juan Luis Liarte, RejectNegative, as a marker for string argument, is extremely counterintuitive: strings are not negative (nor positive)! So I welcome another keyword form them. Perhaps just StringArgument could be ok?

Is there some case where RejectNegative does what it suggest, ie accept (only) numerical (integer) arguments and reject them if they are less than 0?

But if you can implement a new and better syntax, that would be
welcomed too. Please, explain what that intuitive form could be.

Also, you would need to be versed in awk, since the scripts that parse
the *.opt files and generate C code for options are written in awk. Or
alternatively, you would need to replace them with something else. But
that won't be a little patch anymore.
Even if it is not a tiny patch, I would welcome it (but I am not in position of formally approving it).