Re: Progress on GCC plugins ?

David Edelsohn wrote:
Dave Korn writes:

Dave> I don't understand: why wouldn't designing it so that they have to be Dave> implemented as DSOs and hence are covered by the Dave> anything-directly-linked-in-is-GPL'd clause do the job? Or is the concern Dave> that people will write trivial marshalling plugins and ship all the data out Dave> across a pipe or socket to some proprietary code and then only release source Dave> for their shim layers?

	The concern is the many forms of shim layers that possibly could
be written more easily with a plug-in framework.

there is also a difference in these two scenarios:

1. a) Company X writes a modification to GCC to generate special
intermediate stuff with format Y.

  b) Company X writes propietary back end which can only
read format Y stuff written by that modification.

2. Same as 1, except that the GCC project does step a)
thus semi-standardizing the output.

TO me it is pretty clear that these are very different
situations from a license point of view.

David