Re: GCC 4.3 release schedule

> I'd rather take the make the dot-zero release approach while branching
> and count on interested people fixing bugs on the branch after the
> dot-zero release.  This way if nobody is interested on a particular
> release series then we can declare the dot-zero release final -
> otherwise we'd do more releases from the branch anyway.

Quite honestly, I think a version of this basic idea is an improvement
over the current vague procedures, and certainly worth trying. I would
be open to experimentation in the gcc release procedure, especially
after the trials of the 4.2.x series.

Aligning Stage 1 freedoms immeidately after the confinements of Stage
3 branch/dot-zero-release seems to be the most natural way to motivate
work on Stage 3 fixing/polishing. Our current procedure works against
this natural flow.

So, the way I see it, something like this:

- now till < 100 bugs: Stage 3. Weekly bug counts sent to gcc list.

- < 100 bugs: mainline freeze, branch, lockdown for two weeks. All
  hands on board for release. All checkins must have bz#. End two week
  lockdown with 4.3.0 release candidate 1.

- 4.3.0.rc1 release, mainline Stage 1. + 2 weeks, 4.3.0.rc2.

- 4.3.0.rc2 + 2 weeks, 4.3.0 final. (or mainline Stage 1 here?)

Temporary pain for long-term gain.

Anyway. I'm surprised this suggestion did not get more comments. This
is much more transparent than current procedures, and has a chance of
focusing the gcc community on releases, not on the wide-open gates of
Stage 1.

-benjamin