Re: Infinite loop in compiling javax/swing/text/html/parser/HTML_401F.list

Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Oct 2007, David Daney wrote:
>
>>>  On i386-freebsd the number I identified earlier this year was 700MB,
>>> 512MB definitely _not_ being sufficient.  I'd be very interested in
>>> your measurements, perhaps we can reduce the limit somewhat!
>>>
>> I regularly bootstrap c,c++,java on a mips-linux-gnu system with 256MB
>> of RAM (and 2000MB swap).
>>

> Here we go!  This means your system actually features 2256MB of memory,
> not just 256MB. ;-)  Sorry for not making it more clear that I was really
> referring to overall memory, not just main memory.  According to my tests
> our peak in virtual memory use is a bit below 700MB while building libgcj.

I don't dispute that this is true.  However since most modern systems
are able to swap to disk, it is often more useful to know the minimum
amount of RAM required as it can be much more difficult to add RAM to a
system than increase the size of its swap device.

David Daney