Re: Optimization of conditional access to globals: thread-unsafe?

Bart Van Assche wrote:

My opinion is that, given the importance of multithreading, it should
be documented in the gcc manual which optimizations can cause trouble
in multithreaded software (such as (3) and (4)). It should also be
documented which compiler flags must be used to disable optimizations
that cause trouble for multithreaded software. Requiring that all
thread-shared variables should be declared volatile is completely
unacceptable.

Why is this unacceptable .. seems much better to me than writing undefined stuff.

And as you may have noted, I do not agree with Hans Boehm where he
states that the combination of C/C++ with POSIX threads cannot result
in correctly working programs. I believe that the issues raised by
Hans Boehm can be solved.

Well Hans is talking about C/C++, you are talking about some other language in which programs which do not have well defined semantics in C or C++ do have well defined semantics in your language.

Bart Van Assche.