alias and pointers analysis

Hi,

once i have been reading lots of documents about SSA computing. I have
a few questions, conceptual ones, that stop me understanding the whole
goal of the method. Here i go:

* Why alias analysis? I mean, the pointers could be versioned like the
others vars. (I'm not saying it's not usefull, i mean i don't
understand the alias analisys goals)

* What is the significance of Use-Def chains? How are they construct?
Are related to VDEF/DEF and VUSE/USE?

Note: i'm beginning i'd need something basic, conceptual docs.

thanks and c u all