Re: Removal of pre-ISO C++ items from include/backwards

Richard Guenther wrote:
> 2007-10-18  Benjamin Kosnik  <bkoz@redhat.com>
>
>         Removal of pre-ISO C++ items from include/backwards.
>         * include/Makefile.am (backward_headers): Remove all but
> strstream,
>         backward_warning.h.
>         * include/Makefile.in: Regenerate.
>         * include/backward/new.h: Remove.
>         * include/backward/iterator.h: Same.
>

> I don't think this is a great idea.  What is the benefit of this apart
> from causing endless pain?  (SPEC2000 eon now fails to build for example)

I would like to ask the same question.

Once an API is present in the C++ runtime library, my feeling is that it
should be there forever, for very long definitions of forever.  I don't
even think we should move headers; for example, it seems better to
create a new include directory to put new functionality into than to
move old headers out of existing include directories.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery