Fwd: MetaHTML and the GCC web site

Hi all,

I'm currently rewriting the fortran/ part of the GCC website and
trying to use the website preprocessor locally, to check my
modifications (which include bringing fortran/ to the website common
style). The script needs mhc, which seems to be the metahtml
compiler. I tried to compile metahtml-5.08 as well as metahtml-5.091
(tarbal from the sources on sourceware, kindly provided by Ian
Taylor) but both compilations dies in a subdirectory. I then wanted
to ask for help on the metahtml mailing-list, but noticed that there
has been no activity on those since 1999, which brings two questions:
how was metahtml compiled for the current webserver (the error I see
is certainly not target-specific), and should we use a tool that has
been deceased for 8 years to produce our website?

FX

PS: The compilation error I get, if that rings a bell to someone who
installed metahtml on the webserver, is in libmhtml:

Compiling pagefuncs.c into pagefuncs.o
gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wshadow  -g  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -
I../libutils -I../libutils/regex -I/tmp/gdbm-1.8.3/include  -I..-
DCOMPILE_TIME_MODULE_DIRECTORY='"/opt/metahtml-5.091/lib"' -c
pagefuncs.c
pagefuncs.c:1070:1: error: unterminated argument list invoking macro
"DEFINE_SECTION"
pagefuncs.c:135: error: parse error at end of input

where pagefuncs.c contains at line 135:

DEFINE_SECTION (PAGE-VARIABLES, , "[... here was multiline
text ...]", "[... and here was also multiline text
like that ...]")