Re: Does g++ have a intel/msdn __COUNTER__ macro equivalent??

Ollie Wild wrote:
>> Ollie> One quick question.  When I updated the gcc info page, Mark
>> Ollie> Mitchell felt strongly that it shouldn't mention distcc or
>> Ollie> ccache directly.  However, I think it's a good idea to give
>> Ollie> users some idea what the option is good for.  Is it appropriate
>> Ollie> to mention these applications in the release notes?
>>
>> I think it makes sense, but I wonder what Mark's objection was.
>
> Mark, would you like to comment?

I wouldn't characterize my objections as terribly strong.  It's
certainly nothing against distcc or ccache.  But, I think these kinds of
mentions are odd to put in our documentation.  The manual should say
what the options do.  Referencing specific tools, which may or may not
continue to exist, etc., seems odd to me.  The manual is a reference
text; this isn't reference information.

In a tutorial, or in release notes, I have no objection.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery