Re: Any chance for intel core --march?

René Köcher wrote:
> Is there any chance for a --march / --mcpu pair for intel core(duo)?
>
> I'm currently running gentoo linux on a first generation mac book pro
> equipped with a intel coreduo processor. Gentoo installation guide
> states that --march=prescot is the best choice for my cpu.
> But there are also some guides stating that --march=native would result
> in better usage of the coreduo's features.
>
> Left with this I was hoping for a intel core cpu-target in gcc 4.3
> (which only seems to support core2..)
>
> Is it even possible to fine tune for core(duo)?

-march=prescott was the answer for gcc-3.4 32-bit.  gcc-4.3 is well
tuned for Intel Core processors by default.  You may find cases
occasionally where prescott is faster.  As to tuning for the obsolete
core CPU (without the 2), the differences would be minor, perhaps some
cases where -funroll-loops would be less advantageous.