Re: [RFC] Marking C++ new operator as malloc?

Joe Buck <Joe.Buck@synopsys.COM> writes:

| On Sep 7, 2007, at 1:53 PM, Martin Jambor wrote:
| > [ giving operator new the malloc property ]
|
| On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 06:30:33PM -0700, Chris Lattner wrote:
| > It is unclear whether this is safe.  Nothing in the standard AFAIK
| > requires the operator new be implemented in terms of malloc, and
| > users are allowed to override it.
|
| The malloc property doesn't mean that operator new is defined in terms
| of malloc.  It refers to the aliasing properties of the returned
| values; specifically, the compiler can assume that two separate calls
| return values that don't alias each other.

I seem to remember we had had this discussion before -- in connection
with optimizations related to 'malloc' attribute -- and decided not to
apply the attribute because it was not clear whether it was permitted
by the standard.  I don't seem to get my hands on reference to the
thread right now.

-- Gaby