GCC 4.2.2 Status Report

Summary
=======

The GCC 4.2.1 release was July 18, so our target for a 4.2.2 release is
September 18th.  I plan to build RC1 this Sunday, September 9.  If all
goes well, we'll have 4.2.2 out around the 18th; if not, we'll delay a
bit from there.

One critical issue: has GCC 4.2.x been fully converted to GPLv3, at this
point?  If not, we'll have to wait until that is done before we can
release, per the FSF's instructions.

Quality
=======

Here are the open regressions:

Priority   #
--------  ---
P1         26
P2        108
P3          3
Total     137

Many of the P1s are ICEs, so at least users know the compiler is broken...

We still have the nasty aliasing problems:

PR32182 [4.2 Regression] -fstrict-aliasing optimizations cause co...
PR32328 [4.2 Regression] -fstrict-aliasing causes skipped code

and various other such problems.  We also have:

PR32327 [4.2 Regression] Incorrect stack sharing causing removal ...

though Diego's last comment seems to indicate that's something of a
could-happen bug at the moment.

In short, I don't see anything here that would prevent a release,
though, of course, I'd certainly be happier to get the number of
regressions (and, particularly, P1 regressions) down.

Previous Report

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2007-07/msg00704.html

--
Mark Mitchell