Re: Why is building a cross compiler "out-of-the-box" always broken?

So, my open questions to the list are, what is/should be the preferred way to bootstrap a cross compiler/glibc environment?

This likely isn't the preferred way, but the following builds a cross toolchain for all but a few Linux targets:

$SRC/src/configure \ --target=$TARGET --prefix=$PREFIX make make install

$SRC/gcc/configure \
--target=$TARGET --enable-targets=all \
--prefix=$PREFIX \
--enable-languages=c --without-headers \
--disable-nls --disable-multilib --disable-threads --disable-shared \
--disable-libmudflap --disable-libssp --disable-libgomp \
--disable-decimal-float \
--enable-sjlj-exceptions
make
make install

(blackfin compiler needs to be configured as bfin-linux-uclibc, cris compiler won't build, h8300 compiler won't build, ia64 compiler won't build -- some embedded targets seem to need unmerged patches to work for building Linux but I don't bother).

All "normal" targets work fine.

People on the build farm can find this stuff in gcc13:~segher/build,
and installed toolchains (build off mainline) in ~segher/cross.
I do some fresh builds almost every day.

Segher

p.s. Any advice on how to get more targets working would be
more than welcome :-)