This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Creating gcc-newbies mailing list
- From: Robert Dewar <dewar at adacore dot com>
- To: Laurent GUERBY <laurent at guerby dot net>
- Cc: Diego Novillo <dnovillo at google dot com>, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 05:30:01 -0400
- Subject: Re: Creating gcc-newbies mailing list
- References: <46A90E7A.firstname.lastname@example.org> <1185509530.10968.70.camel@pc2>
Laurent GUERBY wrote:
On Thu, 2007-07-26 at 17:13 -0400, Diego Novillo wrote:
Or maybe this is not a good idea, but I have certainly seen some folks
that complain about our less than friendly practices.
Alternative would be to keep gcc@ and document that
emails with subject tag [BEGINNER] should not be answered
by unfriendly developpers (who can filter them out easily) and should be
answered as quickly and friendly as possible by those who care :).
I must say that my impression is that beginner *developers* get
good/polite answers and indeed I think people usually go out of
their way to help. This is the way it should be, and if there are
exceptions, we should work on eliminating them. In particular, if
you see an answer that you think is unhelpful to a would-be
developer, step in and help!
People asking *language* questions are often told to go
elsewhere, and that's reasonable. Actually my complaint there
would be that too often, people on this list answer such off
topic questions (which is fine), and copy the answers to the
list (which is not so fine, since it causes more off-topic
I really see no reason for change here.