This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Creating gcc-newbies mailing list
- From: Ian Lance Taylor <iant at google dot com>
- To: David Daney <ddaney at avtrex dot com>
- Cc: Diego Novillo <dnovillo at google dot com>, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: 26 Jul 2007 14:58:26 -0700
- Subject: Re: Creating gcc-newbies mailing list
- References: <46A90E7A.firstname.lastname@example.org> <46A9142B.email@example.com>
David Daney <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
> Between gcc@ and gcc-help@ I think we have it pretty much covered. I
> have not really seen anyone flamed on gcc@ when they ask newbie type
> questions related to GCC development.
I think the risk is not so much that people get flamed, as that they
get non-responsive answers. And people get discouraged from joining
the community. I think it may help to have a list for people who
would like to be developers where they can ask simple questions.
I agree that some people turn to asking questions on gcc-help, where
simple questions are treated more kindly.
gcc-newbies may not be the best name, I don't know.