Re: Enabling gcc optimization pass

Rohit Arul Raj wrote:
Hi all,

I have 3 functions- fun1, fun2, fun3 in the same source file and i
want to enable one or any of the gcc optimization pass to code in fun2
only,

1. Is it possible to implement this using function attributes or #pragms's?

I believe that currently, tuning optimisation levels at a function granularity (or perhaps even smaller, like blocks) is impossible in current GCC. I heard at the GCC summit (18th july 2007 at Ottawa) that it would be a desirable feature, but I am not sure that someone is actively working on it.

So currently, the answer seems to be no.

I believe that currently, tuning optimisation levels at a function granularity (or perhaps even smaller, like blocks) is impossible in current GCC. I heard at the GCC summit (18th july 2007 at Ottawa) that it would be a desirable feature, but I am not sure that someone is actively working on it.

2. What will be its side-effects?

Apparently, one of the issues is that some optimising passes (or their combination) rely on some global variable, so it is not a trivial job to tune optimisations at the function level.

But I may be wrong on both points.

email: basile<at>starynkevitch<dot>net | mobile: +33 6 8501 2359
*** opinions {are only mine, sont seulement les miennes} ***