Re: GCC with formal testing docs

Joe Buck wrote:

Right.  However, some coverage-oriented methodologies explicitly mark code
that is expected to be unreachable, and produce unit tests to exercise at
least some of the defensive code that no longer gets run by the compiler
as a whole.  If any volunteers would like to take on the job of improving
and tracking coverage (by a combination of more tests, unit tests, and
marking code that is currently unreachable but should remain for safety
purposes) that could be helpful.

Absolutely, doing systematic coverage work of this kind would indeed be very helpful! I am not sure though that we want unit tests per se, much more useful are tests that excercise the code in the context of a complete gcc build.