Re: RFH: GPLv3

Michael Eager wrote:

Unfortunately, as I understand it, this is not the case.  If you
apply a GPLv3 patch to a previously GPLv2 branch after August 1, then
this entire branch, and all files in it, magically and silently
becomes GPLv3.  (This is unless FSF agrees with Mark's proposal
to dual license patches.)

As I understand the current situation, knowing the version number
will not tell you whether the code is licensed under GPLv2 or GPLv3.

That's why I suggested a simple rule that ALL software on the site is GPLv3 after a certain date, so you don't have to know the version number or anything else, just the date on which you access the site, and if you are GPLv3 allergic, then the simple rule is not to take ANYTHING off the site after that date. This is really much the easiest rule.