Re: RFH: GPLv3

Geoffrey Keating wrote:
Speaking as an individual developer who nonetheless needs to follow
his company's policies on licensing, I need it to be *absolutely
clear* whether a piece of software can be used under GPLv2 or not.

If there's a situation where 'silent' license upgrades can occur,
where even just one file in a release might be GPLv3, or any other
situation where the license is not clear, then to me that software is
unusable.  This applies to subversion as well to releases in tarballs.

That's a good point. I think it would be a good idea to pick a clear point at which the gcc mainline on SVN will stop being GPLv2, and make sure that a tarball of its state immediately before that point is produced. (I guess that point is whenever the first license-change patch gets committed.)

This should also be documented clearly on the GCC main page, I think.

- Brooks