Re: RFH: GPLv3

Nick Clifton wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
>> Will someone (or someones) please volunteer to change the various files
>> that mention GPLv2 to mention GPLv3 instead, to change the COPYING file
>> in the gcc/ directory, and to look for other things that need to change?
>
> I volunteer.

Thank you!

>> It has not yet been decided what to do about files that are part of
>> run-time libraries and are covered by GPL/LGPL + exception.  Therefore,
>> no changes to
>
> to what ?  :-)  I assume that there is a missing part of that last
> sentence which reads "these files will take place at the moment".

Yes, that's correct.  Sorry!

> I think however that a small change to such files may be necessary.  If I change the contents of the COPYING file over to GPLv3, then I think that it might be wise to create a new file - COPYING_v2 - which contains the GPLv2 and which can be referred to in the copyright notice of files which are still under the GPLv2.

Good point!  I'd suggest doing this first: make a COPYING_v2, then
update GPL/LGPL + exception things to point at it, then change COPYING
to v3 and update source files that say "v2 or later".

Please err on the side of caution; it will be harder to go back to V2 if
we accidentally make something V3 than it will be to go forward to V3 if
we miss something.

Thanks,

--
Mark Mitchell