Re: no_new_pseudos

Eric Botcazou <ebotcazou@libertysurf.fr> writes:

> tree-ssa-loop-im.c:may_move_till (tree ref, tree *index, void *data)
> tree-ssa-loop-prefetch.c:may_use_storent_in_loop_p (struct loop *loop)

So there are some existing cases of asking permission using "may".

Joe Buck <Joe.Buck@synopsys.COM> writes:

> "May" can either mean that someone has permission to do something ("is
> allowed to"), or
> that it is possible that something could happen ("might").  Example:
>
> "Bill may leave before the meeting is over." could mean
>
> Bill has permission to leave before the meeting is over.
>
> or
>
> It is possible that Bill will leave before the meeting is over.

True, but essentially the same ambiguity is present for "can."

"Joe can open the door during the meeting" could mean "Joe is able to
open the door (e.g., he has the keys)" or "from time to time, Joe will
open the door during the meeting (e.g., it has been known to happen)."

But I agree that it doesn't seem to be used that way in gcc.

Ian