Re: no_new_pseudos

On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 11:54:39AM -0700, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> Kenneth Zadeck <zadeck@naturalbridge.com> writes:
>
> > Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

> > > Shouldn't we see this as a teachable moment for correct English
> > > grammar?
> > >
> > > Ian
> > >
> > you are being mean.
>
> In truth I'm not sure where the ambiguity is.  But I admit that I am
> not a non-native speaker.

"May" can either mean that someone has permission to do something ("is
allowed to"), or
that it is possible that something could happen ("might").  Example:

"Bill may leave before the meeting is over." could mean

Bill has permission to leave before the meeting is over.

or

It is possible that Bill will leave before the meeting is over.