Re: Type-punning

Sergei Organov wrote:
Herman Geza <hg211@hszk.bme.hu> writes:

[...]
What is the correct way to do this:

void setNaN(float &v) {
	reinterpret_cast<int&>(v) = 0x7f800001;
}

without a type-prunning warning? I cannot use the union trick here

Why? Won't the following work?

void setNaN(float &v) {
union { float f; int i; } t;
t.i = 0x7f800001;
v = t.f;
}
As far as I know, this is guaranteed to work with GCC. But it is not kosher according to language standards, so other compilers might dislike it. On the other hand, other compilers are not guaranteed to optimize the call to "memcpy" out either.

Type punning has been disallowed regardless of disguise at least since Fortran77, when compiler writers realized it had become evil. However, in my opinion, there's a big difference between a useful little trick like the union above and the horrible memory overlays that the Fortran77 standard tried to help disambiguate.

Silvius