gcov / gcov-dump

I'm writing a tool which reads information (arcs) from the .gcno file produced by GCC with -ftest-coverage.

It calculates the NPATH complexity (number of execution paths in a function)

By doing this I found out the graph generated by GCC contains more paths then I expected. For every function call it generates "emergency exits" in case exceptions occur. (i'm guessing here)

I found some documentation in the gcov-io.h but I still have trouble figuring out how to interpret these paths. In some cases inline C++ code appears in the graph, but for simple cases it doesn't.

The .gcno files seemed a simple way to get access to the arcs, but I'm not sure the data is rich enough to work out the NPATH complexity. (for simple cases, it works well)

Any ideas how I can find more information to solve this?

Eddy

--
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnocchi