Re: segmentation fault

On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 11:49 -0400, fred.cotton@oasincorp.com wrote:

> With apologies for being new:
> In porting a hardware configuration from gcc-3.4.1 to gcc-4.2.0, I'm getting the
> following error message:
>
> In file included from /cygdrive/c/gcc-4.2.0/gcc/crtstuff.c:68:
> /cygdrive/c/gcc-4.2.0/gcc/tsystem.h:53: internal compiler error: Segmentation
> fault.

It is probably Cygwin that is reporting the segmentation fault.  If
you're a Windows user, this term refers to a memory access fault due to
accessing an unmapped address or de-referencing the null pointer.

The compiler is crashing while you're compiling one of the earliest
source files in the runtime library.  This usually suggests a fairly
simple and obvious problem -- and I don't think the compiler is properly
reporting the fault location to you, based on what you've pasted into
your message.

I would take the xgcc command executed by the Makefile, add -save-temps
to the command line, generate a preprocessed file and then run cc1 under
a debugger with crtstuff.i as its input source file.  Then you can work
out what is going on.

Good luck,
Ben

--