Re: [OT] Re: Git repository with full GCC history

On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 11:57:36AM -0400, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
> Gabriel Paubert wrote:

> >>The --aggressive option is undocumented in 1.5.2.  What
> >>is it supposed to do?
> >
> >It is documented in my freshly compiled and installed git:
>
> In the source, I see it just passes "-f" to git-repack, which
> I already did manually, with no improvement.
>
> So there must be something strange in your repository if
> it packs that much better than mine.  Could you please
> publish it somewhere so I can make some tests?

Well, actually the GCC repository does not pack better
here than yours. It's even worse after having tested
on 3 different machines just in case. In all cases
I get about 1.4 GB for the pack with the default
depth and window parameters.

I don't know what Harvey is up to, he claimed his tree
was between 400 and 500 MB.

There are 50% more objects than in the Linux kernel,
but with the same packing parameters the pack file is
almost 10 times larger. It's true that many kernel
patches are little more than one-liners, but even
taking this into account, I'm surprised.

	Gabriel