RE: Dynamically linking against GMP and MPFR

On 25 May 2007 15:34, Eric Botcazou wrote:

>> It's no different than any other library used by any other program.
>> I wouldn't object to configure support to request static gmp/mpfr for
>> developer convenience, but GCC is a perfectly normal dynamically
>> linked program and should behave like one IMO.
>
> How a compiler can be "a perfectly normal dynamically linked program",
> especially if it's the system compiler?  IMHO the less dependencies the
> better in this case.

  Yes, hasn't this been one of the design goals of gcc for as long as any of
us can remember?  It wants to be able to bootstrap the GNU world on non-free
systems from scratch and part of that is not requiring anything other than the
standard headers and libraries distributed with the system - isn't that an
important qualification in terms of the GPL?

    cheers,
      DaveK