Re: GCC 4.2.0 RC3 Available

Richard Earnshaw wrote:
>> Mark Mitchell wrote:
>>> GCC 4.2.0 RC3 is now available from:
>>>
>>>   ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/prerelease-4.2.0-20070501
>>>
>>> This build now contains the fixes for the Ada build problem present in RC2.
>>>
>>> At this point, I have no plans for an RC4.  However, I am reviewing the
>>> various open issues, and available patches, so I might change my mind
>>> about that.
>
> Another problem is that --enable-checking hasn't been set to 'release',
> so the stage1 binary is too big to run on my ARM systems (and the
> compiler will be unnecessarily slower than it needs to be).

That's a serious issue.  But, I'm confused: gcc/DEV-PHASE on the branch
is set to "prerelease", and, in the auto-host.h file from the build that
gets done as part of the prerelease tarball-building script, I see:

/* Define if you want the garbage collector to do object poisoning and
other
   memory allocation checks. This is quite expensive. */
#ifndef USED_FOR_TARGET
/* #undef ENABLE_GC_CHECKING */
#endif

which looks like GC-checking has indeed been turned off, which is
consistent with gcc/configure.ac detecting that we're in release mode.

Are you sure that we're not building with release-checking only?

Thanks,

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery