Re: Backport fix for spurious anonymous ns warnings PR29365 to 4.2?

On 5/2/07, Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com> wrote:
Seongbae Park wrote:
> On 5/1/07, Andrew Pinski <pinskia@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 01 May 2007 14:28:07 -0700, Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com> wrote:
>> > I agree that it would be appropriate to backport the patch to gcc 4.2.
>>
>> Lets first get the patch which fixes the ICE regression that this
>> patch causes approved :).
>>
>> Which can be found at:
>> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2007-04/msg01746.html

This patch is OK for mainline.

Attached is the patch I commited just now.

As for backporting to 4.2, this isn't a regression, so the default
answer would be "no".  I'm unconvinced that this is a sufficiently
serious problem to merit violating that policy; after all, we're only
talking about a spurious warning.  (However, the other bug here is that
we don't have a warning option for this, so users can't use
-Wno-<something> to turn this off.)

In any case, we're not going to do this for 4.2.0.  As per the policy I
posted recently on PRs, please find a C++ maintainer who wants to argue
for backporting this and ask them to mark the PR as P3 with an argument
as to why this is important to backport.

Thanks,

My guess is that this will be big enough nuisance to be worth backporting, but I agree that this isn't a regression - I won't bother other c++ maintainers for this. -- #pragma ident "Seongbae Park, compiler, http://seongbae.blogspot.com";