Re: Problem with patch for PR tree-optimization/29789

On 4/25/07, Steve Ellcey <sje@cup.hp.com> wrote:
Richard,

Has anyone reported any problems with your tree-ssa-loop-im.c patch that
fixes PR tree-optimization/29789?  I have been looking at a failure with
the SPECfp2000 173.applu test.  I found that if I compile it with
version r124041 of the GCC gfortran compiler it works but if I compile
it with version r124042 it fails.  The difference between the two is
your checkin:

2007-04-22 Richard Guenther <rguenther@suse.de>

        PR tree-optimization/29789
        * tree-ssa-loop-im.c (stmt_cost): Adjust cost of shifts.
        (rewrite_reciprocal): New helper split out from
        determine_invariantness_stmt.
        (rewrite_bittest): Likewise.
        (determine_invariantness_stmt): Rewrite (A >> B) & 1 to
        A & (1 << B) if (1 << B) is loop invariant but (A >> B)
        is not.

To make things harder, the problem only seems to happen if I build
bootstrap.  If I build a non-bootstrap compiler then the applu test
compiles and runs fine.  If I build a bootstrap compiler, I can compile
applu but the program core dumps when run.  Do you have any ideas about
what might be happening or what I might try in order to understand what
is going wrong.

I'm investigating.

Richard.