Re: How do you get the benefit of -fstrict-aliasing?

On 4/21/07, Bradley Lucier <lucier@math.purdue.edu> wrote:
I didn't think that adding aliasing information could lead to worse
code.  So I'm wondering how to use that aliasing information more
effectively to get better code.

What aliasing information could do is allow an optimization pass cause register pressure which causes our current RA (register allocator) to go crazy and make code worse. This is true of any optimization even one that takes into account register pressure (which actually the wrong thing to do really).

Thanks,
Andrew Pinski