Re: GCC mini-summit - compiling for a particular architecture

Diego Novillo wrote:
H. J. Lu wrote on 04/20/07 21:30:

-fprefetch-loop-arrays shouldn't be on by default since HW prefetch
usually will have negative performance impact on Intel.

We are talking about one specific architecture where it usually helps: ia64.

Right, but the follow on discussion was *if* we have to have the same set of optimization options for all architectures, *then* could we consider turning on loop unrolling by default.

One possibility would be to have a -Om switch (or whatever) that
says "do all optimizations for this machine that help".

I must say the rule about all optimizations being the same on
all machines seems odd to me in another respect. What if you
have an optimziation that applies *only* to one machine (ia64
has a number of such possibilities!)