Re: RFC: GIMPLE tuples. Design and implementation proposal

Richard Guenther wrote on 04/10/07 08:01:

> It looks decent, but I also would go one step further with location
> information and
> PHI node "canonicalization".

What would be the "step further" for PHI nodes?  We haven't really left
anything to spare inside GS_PHI.

For insn locators, the idea is to simply move the RTL insn locator code
into GIMPLE.  This can be even done early in the implementation process,
but for simplicity we left it for later.  If someone wants to work on
that, then great.

> Further for memory usage we may want to use
> available padding on gimple_statement_base as flags or somehow trick gcc to use
> tail-padding for inheritance...

There is only going to be padding on 64 bit hosts.  Instructions with no
subcode will use those bits as bitflags.

> For traversal speed I'd also put the chain first in the structure:

Sure.  That's easy enough to experiment with while doing the implementation.