RE: RFC: Enable __declspec for Linux/x86

On 03 April 2007 01:37, Andrew Pinski wrote:

> On 4/2/07, H. J. Lu <hjl@lucon.org> wrote:
>> I believe __declspec in Intel C++ compiler comes from:
>>
>> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dabb5z75.aspx
>
> How is Microsoft documentation, the real documentation for Intel C++
> compiler?

  Presumably this implies that the Intel compiler's 'declspec' compiler extension is defined to match Microsoft's original specification of the feature.

>  Have you seen the Cell language extension document [1]?  We
> document everything that is needed to be supported where does
> Intel/AMD document those?  I have not seen a document like that for
> SSE/3DNow programming at all.

1.  declspec is only tangentially related to SSE in any case.
2.  What is of interest here is not what Intel or AMD have failed to do for their users, but what we should do for ours.
3.  It's really no more than a new bit of syntactic sugar for specifying __attribute__s.

  We probably wouldn't want to support all the declspec types on all platforms, but I don't see why this should be too controversial.

    cheers,
      DaveK