Re: error: "no newline at end of file"

Zack Weinberg wrote:

Ugh.  That puts us in the position of having to decide whether command
line definitions "count" as previous definitions for 6.10.3p3.  I'm
inclined to think that they do, or rather, that saying they don't
involves more bending of the language than I am comfortable with.  I
could be convinced otherwise.

It's not bending the language, the standard has nothing whatever to say about -D. I see no reason not to be completely permissive wrt -D if it is going to make transition smoother.