Re: Build report for gcc 4.1.1 on Cygwin

Tarmo Pikaro wrote:

> Tried to compile gcc 4.1.1 (and .2) under windows / cygwin environment - and end up with error:

This is more a question for gcc-help.

> Used command lines:
> $ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/gcc-4.1.1 --program-suffix=-4.1.1 --enable-th
> reads=win32 --with-cpu=i686 --with-arch=i686 --with-tune=i686 --enable-language
> s=c,c++

--enable-threads=win32 is wrong.  Cygwin uses pthreads not win32
threads.

> Another question is - is it possible to debug gcc using visual studio ?

If by possible you mean by looking at raw assembly then sure.  Otherwise
no.  The two toolchains use entirely different formats for debug symbol
information so there's really no chance this would work.  But you can
use gdb/insight just fine.

> I have seen some "no" answers on internet - but another question would be - is it possible
> to create some "gcc calls dll"-style system and dll can be debugged using visual studio?
> (I guess as long as data type alignment is the same in both environment this could be done).

It really depends.  One debugger won't be able to unwind the call stack
of a foreign toolchain if it can't read that foreign toolchain's debug
format and the frame pointers have been eliminated.  So even if you have
debug symbols available for the module of the current frame, you could
still have a hard time making any sense of what's going on.  And this
assumes pure C, if there is C++ then things get even more ugly as the
Visual Studio and g++ C++ ABIs are quite different.

Brian