Re: GCC 4.2.0 Status Report (2007-03-22)

On 3/30/07, Richard Kenner <kenner@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu> wrote:
> The lang hook is supposed to mark the variable as addressable.
> The lang hook should not be changing other things that have an affect
> on the *middle end*.  No exceptions.

But how is it "supposed to mark the variable as addressable"?  If this
just means setting TREE_ADDRESSABLE, what's the point of having the hook?

It also issues language specific warnings

And if it does something *else*, how is the middle-end supposed to
know how to undo it?
It's not supposed to be doing other things for languages that don't
want to emit warnings (or do other front-endy things with the answer)

I guess what I'm arguing for here is either the removal of the lang hook or the addition of one to set a decl *non-addressable*. As far as I'm concerned, I think the removal is better, but both are OK with me.

You haven't explained what you think needs undoing in *any current
language that uses the hook*.
We shouldn't be adding hooks just because some theoretical language
that doesn't exist might want to do things we don't want it to do
*anyway*.
No wonder we have so many langhooks.