MiDataSets for MiBench to enable more realistic benchmarking and better tuning of the GCC optimization heuristic

Hi all,

In case someone is interested, we are developing a set of inputs
(MiDataSets) for the MiBench benchmark. Iterative optimization
is now a popular technique to obtain performance or code size improvements
over the default settings in a compiler. However, in most
of the research projects, the best configuration is found
for one arbitrary dataset and it is assumed that this configuration
will work well with any other dataset that a program uses.
We created 20 different datasets per program for free MiBench benchmark
to evaluate this assumption and analyze the behavior of various
programs with multiple datasets. We hope that this will enable more
realistic benchmarking, practical iterative optimizations (iterative compilation),
and can help to automatically improve GCC optimization heuristic.

We just made a pre-release of the 1st version of MiDataSets and we
made an effort  to include only copyright free inputs from the Internet.
However, mistakes are possible - in such cases, please contact me
to resolve the issue or remove the input.

More information can be found at the MiDataSets development website:
http://midatasets.sourceforge.net

or in the paper:
Grigori Fursin, John Cavazos, Michael O'Boyle and Olivier Temam.
MiDataSets: Creating The Conditions For A More  Realistic Evaluation
of Iterative Optimization. Proceedings of the International Conference
on High Performance Embedded Architectures Compilers (HiPEAC 2007),
Ghent, Belgium, January 2007

Any suggestions and comments are welcome!
Yours,
Grigori Fursin

Grigori Fursin, PhD
INRIA Futurs, France