Re: We're out of tree codes; now what?

On 3/12/07, Steven Bosscher <stevenb.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:
On 3/12/07, David Edelsohn <dje@watson.ibm.com> wrote:
>         I thought that the Tuples conversion was suppose to address this
> in the long term.

The tuples conversion is only going to make things worse in the short term.

Doug, isn't there a lang_tree bit you can make available, and use it
to make the tree code field 9 bits wide?  I know this is also not
quite optimal,

It's going to have a big performance impact. To extract a 9-bit value, the compiler will need to do a lot of masking every time it accesses the TREE_CODE. We need the size of CODE to match the size of a built-in integer type, which means we need to either expand the structure or find 8 (!) free bits to shuffle.

but adding 24 bits like this is an invitation to
everyone to start using those bits, and before you know it we're stuck
with a larger-than-necessary tree structure... :-(

Yep, that's what got us where we are today. We said, "oh, we'll never need more than 256 codes, let's use the other 24 bits for flags!"

 Cheers,
 Doug