Re: Adding a new gcc dir

On 3/7/07, Dave Korn <dave.korn@artimi.com> wrote:

As explained: because it makes it impossible for users running old systems with pre-C99 compilers to build gcc and thereby excludes them from the world of free software, which is the opposite of what we're trying to achieve.

Well, I surely understand that and I find it nice. Still, I was questioning Paul why he said: "I consider rejecting mixed code/declarations to be a feature" because it seems that if he could use mixed code/declarations, he wouldn't. I just asked why? Now, as I said, I understand gcc restriction and in my gcc code I surely adhere to it.

The benefit of saving three keypresses is outweighed (for the FSF's goals) by the disadvantage of excluding a whole category of potential users/contributors.

I surely don't know FSF's goals but again I understand gcc code not containing //, but my question was more directed to Paul view. :)

> in a one line comments, using /* */ is just horrid! :)

That's a purely religious opinion!

Yes, it is. I'm religiously simplistic, best-language agnostic and god atheist!

  You might find it interesting to browse the gnu coding standards
(http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/) and the additional standards specific to
gcc (http://gcc.gnu.org/codingconventions.html), since much of what we have
discussed is explained there along with the rationale that justifies the
decisions.

I'll look into it .

  Things won't stay like this forever, and at some point we'll undoubtedly
decide that it's no longer necessary to stay backwardly compatible all that
far back, and start using C99 features (and beyond that, we may at sometime
start using C++ in the compiler core).  It's a purely practical matter of
ensuring gcc is accessible to the greatest possible number of people.

    cheers,
      DaveK

Paulo Jorge Matos - pocm at soton.ac.uk
http://www.personal.soton.ac.uk/pocm