Re: remarks about g++ 4.3 and some comparison to msvc & icc on ia32

On 1/28/07, Jan Hubicka <hubicka@ucw.cz> wrote:
Actually we do have one stack frame shrinking pass already.  It depends
on where the bloat is comming from - we can pack (with some limitations)
memory used by structures/arrays used by different inline functions or
lexical blocks.  We don't do any packing of spilled registers nor shring
wrapping other compilers sometimes implement.
Ah. So there's already some shrinkage.
I don't think i can blame spilling for all that waste, but then i also
have no idea what that "shring wrapping" involves.
Also i think it's only a bit worse with C++ where some idioms appear
to cause more trouble.

It would be nice to have a cheat sheet of do and don't :)

It seems my previous obese mail got axed a bit,
http://ompf.org/vault/frontend.ii.bz2
http://ompf.org/vault/rt_render_packet.ii.bz2