Re: [RFC] Our release cycles are getting longer

WiadomoÅÄ napisana w dniu 2007-01-24, o godz14:05, przez Michael Veksler:

From my experience on my small constraint solver (80,000 LOC) by making stuff
more suitable for random unit testing you get:

  1. Maintainable+reusable code (with all its benefits).
  2. Faster code: Due to simplicity of each unit, it is
     easier to understand and implement algorithmic enhancements.

There is no need to argue that this kind of approach would make some.
For 3 particular platforms I think the instrumentation of the code
could even be done by using for example the DTrace facilities. My concerns
are about how well defined and reproducible such a setup would be in view of
the way the build setup goes? It's practically impossible to make any guarantees here.

From a general point of view it appears that the GCC contains already itself more
then one constrain solver...

If it will involve CP ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Constraint_programming ) or
CSP solving then there is a slight chance that I will be able to squeeze some of this
into my schedule of 2008, not before. (I refer only to proof of concept, at most
a prototype not more).
--

Michael Veksler
http:///tx.technion.ac.il/~mveksler