Re: mpfr issues when Installing gcc 3.4 on fedora core

On 2007-01-04 19:09:23 +0100, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2007-01-04 12:54:34 -0500, drizzle drizzle wrote:
> [configure warning due to different libgmp and gmp.h versions]
>
> Yes (now this test is much more reliable in MPFR 2.2.1). You may have
> the following problem (quoted from MPFR's INSTALL file):
>
>   Such problems commonly occur under GNU/Linux machines, where default
>   header and library paths may be inconsistent: gcc is configured to
>   search /usr/local/include by default, while /usr/local/lib is not in
>   the default search paths. If you have a GMP version installed in /usr
>   (provided by the OS) and a new one installed in /usr/local, then the
>   header of the new GMP version and the library of the old GMP version
>   will be used! A typical error is the above one in "make check". The
>   solution is to add /usr/local/include to your C_INCLUDE_PATH and to
>   add /usr/local/lib to your LIBRARY_PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH (and/or
>   LD_RUN_PATH), as said above. Alternatively, you can use --with-gmp*
>   configure options (described above), e.g. --with-gmp=/usr/local, but
>   other software that uses GMP and/or MPFR will need correct paths too,
>   and environment variables allow to set them in a global way.

In case you still get the warning after trying that, I think that one
can get the same kind of problems when the ABI is incorrect, e.g. a
32-bit GMP library in /usr/lib, a 64-bit GMP library in /usr/local/lib
and a MPFR build in the 32-bit ABI (contrary to GMP, MPFR doesn't
change the ABI by default): the 64-bit GMP library will be skipped,
and the GMP library will be taken from /usr/lib (whereas the gmp.h
will still be taken from /usr/local/include).