Re: Top level libgcc checked in

Ben Elliston wrote:

> So I take it that at this stage we've not commenced the process of
> having libgcc's configury run autoconf tests on the target compiler?
> (Rather than having to hardwire most target details into the t-* files?)
> Any objections to starting down this path?

We should also be very careful not to introduce differences between
native and cross compilers.  So, we should have no run-time tests, no
tests that look at /proc, headers in /usr/include, etc.  I consider it
important that a Canadian-native compiler (i.e., one where $host =
$target, but $build != $host) and a native compiler (i.e., one where
$host = $build = $target) behave identically, given the same
configuration options.

If we decide to go with autoconf, and we are building a Canadian cross,
we should of course test the $build->$target compiler (which is the one
we'll be using to build the libraries), rather than the $host->$target
compiler (which may be the one in the tree).

Given the constraints, I'm not sure that autoconf is a huge win.  I'm
not violently opposed, but I'm not sure there are big benefits.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery