Re: changing "configure" to default to "gcc -g -O2 -fwrapv ..."

> Doing that in unsigned arithmetic is much more readable anyway.

If you're concerned about readability, you leave it as the two tests and
let the compiler worry about the optimal way to implement it.

> So I doubt that programmers would do that in signed arithmetic.

I kind of doubt that as well, but for a different reason: this is a trick
that isn't that widely known and I'd guess (again with no data) that the
people who know about it know to do it correctly.