Re: changing "configure" to default to "gcc -g -O2 -fwrapv ..."

Paul Eggert wrote:

In practice, I expect that most C programmers probably
assume wrapv semantics, if only unconsciously.  The minimal
C Standard may not entitle them to that assumption, but they
assume it anyway.  Part of this is the Java influence no
doubt.  Sorry, but that is just the way the world goes.

That's an interesting point, I suspect it is indeed the case that more C programmers will assume that C matches Java semantics (indeed in a sense Java derived its semantics from C practice).