Re: changing "configure" to default to "gcc -g -O2 -fwrapv ..."

* Andrew Pinski:

>> If what you propose is the only way out, and there is no way to make
>> GCC optimizers reasonable, then I believe Paul's proposal is the next
>> option.
>
> But that still does not address the issue is that this is not just about
> GCC any more since autoconf can be used many different compilers and is right
> now.  So if you change autoconf to default to -fwrapv and someone comes alongs
> and tries to use it with say ACC (some made up compiler right now).  The loop
> goes into an infinite loop because they treat (like GCC did) signed type overflow
> as undefined, autoconf still becomes an issue.

Does autoconf enable higher optimization levels for other compilers by
default?

(BTW, I would be somewhat disappointed if this had to be pampered over
on the autoconf side.  If the GNU project needs -fwrapv for its own
software by default, this should be reflected in the compiler's
defaults.  I wish more C programs could be moved towards better
conformance, but this could be unrealistic, especially in the short
term.)