Re: Announce: MPFR 2.2.1 is released

On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 12:01:45PM -0500, Kaveh R. GHAZI wrote:
> Hi Vincent, thanks for making this release.  Since this version of mpfr
> fixes important bugs encountered by GCC, I've updated the gcc
> documentation and error messages to refer to version 2.2.1.
>
> I have NOT (yet) updated gcc's configure to force the issue.  I'll wait a
> little while to let people upgrade.

Kaveh,

IMHO, you should *never* update gcc's configure to force the issue.  To do
so would be unprecedented.

configure doesn't refuse to build gcc with older binutils versions, even
though those versions cause some tests to fail that pass with newer
versions.  Similarly, people aren't forced to upgrade their glibc
because some tests fail with older versions.

In my view, the only time configure should fail because of an
old library version is if going ahead with the build would produce a
completely nonfunctional compiler.  I wouldn't care if a warning message
is generated.